Let’s Go Somewhere Quiet goes European with France’s Sugar Glider. They are Paris-based duo Rodolphe and Matt and got together four years ago. They don’t seem to go into much of a biog, so let’s dive straight into an interview with Rodolphe:
1. A Sugar Glider can be a small gliding possum (Petaurus breviceps). But who are you?
Sugar Glider a.k.a. SG is a band of two technology geeks who came together around their passion for music. The band started as an after work collaboration of our two personnal music styles.
2. Sugar Gliders are from Australia but you’re from Paris. Is that originally or did you both end up there?
I was born and raised in Paris and Matt was born in the south west of France and has lived all over as a child with his parents on expatriation. He came to Paris in his late teens for college.
3. You’re a duo. How does that work? Does one lead and the other follows? One music, one lyrics?
When working together, there is no leader. Matt sings and plays the guitar. I play the piano, keyboards and deal with the mixing and mastering. Sometimes Matt comes up with an idea and we work on it, sometimes it’s the opposite. It is pretty simple and efficient. We are also best friends so it is very nice to work together.
4. You describe your music as pop. Who are the influences on your sound?
Our influences are diverse: rock, pop and progressive electronic music, anything from the 1970s/80s like Supertramp, Depeche Mode or the more recent Radiohead and Coldplay.
5. Why did you decide to be part of Let’s Go Somewhere Quiet?
I lived a similar family drama… Hopefully great initiatives like this compilation will help to save lives.
And the track which will appear on the album:
Sugar Glider – Technicolour