Mice Girls – Fireworks
New track from Cardiff’s the Mice Girls, who featured back here. Not your usual. Free download.
Last time, I made some terrible pun about Caerphilly, so seemed only right to get them to to Ted’s Top Ten Quiz:
1. Weatherall or Oakenfold? Why was Weatherall in? Because Oakenfolded. (sorry)
2. Synthesisers or real instruments? Ahh clever! Real instruments played by a fake band.
3. Gorwydd Caerphilly or Hafod Cheddar? Definitely Cheddar because Caerphilly tastes like the white cliffs of Dover.
4. Coffee or beer? We only drink Montepulciano darling
5. Field mouse or harvest mouse? We’re lab mice. We don’t hang around with hippies.
6. Lava bread or Welsh cakes? Molten lava bread.
7. Catherine wheel or Roman candle? Catherine Zeta Jones spinning around on fire.
8. Table tennis or whiff waff? Who wouldn’t wanna whiff waff?
9. 808 or 303? 303 with knobs on!
10. Merthyr Tydfil or Llandudno? Can’t choose. Both are lovely. Llandudno with its beautiful sea front and Merthyr with its splendid bypass.
Sam and Jules’ previous track – Twitchcraft – was a lo-fi mix of oriental sounds, break beats and a theramin. This time is just as curious a blend. Fireworks is a mix of wall-to-wall guitars and a stylophone. It has a sixties pop rock feel, with Pearl Jam providing the choruses over which a child plays with the stylophone. It’s dance people but not as we know it. This is dance in the tradition of Fuzzbox (or We’ve Got A Fuzzbox And We’re Gonna Use It to be accurate).
And while we’re about it, try Ping Pong (also free download) which sounds kinda conventional by comparison. Childlike dance beats, theramin and stylophone. Like you do.
Fuzzbox – Pink Sunshine