vibrations, oscillations, frequencies
We had Kodomo’s Orange Ocean the other day, with the standout ambient remix provided by Loscil. It was so good, I thought I’d explore his work further. Free mix to download.
Loscil is Scott Morgan from Vancouver, Canada. Listening to his soundcloud wasn’t the unalloyed pleasure I expected. Some of his work is so fluid and ambient that it becomes overly smooth and soporific. It’s often better when he’s remixing other people’s work as he has something to work against. Here is an example, which is this older mixtape of other people’s work for the lovely blog A Strangely Isolated Place. This hour long mix has a beautiful rushing, tumbling flow, like time delay photography of a stream. It’s therefore no surprise that Scott says “Whether conscious or not, water has long been an influential factor in my work. There is something intangible, powerful, emotional, alluring and frightening about water.” Therre’s nothing frightening about this mix, just a seamless collection of downtempo but emotionally charged sounds.
01. Pan*American – Lights On Water (Quiet City)
02. Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto – by this river (summvs)
03. Marcus Fischer – Wind And Wake (Monocoastal)
04. Carter Burwell – Water Dream (Fur An Imaginary Portrait Of Diane Arbus)
05. Tom Recchion – Ship At Sea (Chaotica)
06. Ethernet – Seaside (144 Pulsations of Light)
07. Grouper – Down To The Ocean (Cover The Windows And The Walls)
08. Chihei Hatakeyama – Starlight Reflecting On The Surface Of The River (Minima Moralia)
09. Wes Willenbring – While My Lungs Fill With Water (Somewhere Someone Else)
10. Clouwbeck – The Water’s Burden (From Which The River Rises)
11. Brian Eno & Harold Budd – A Stream With Bright Fish (The Pearl)
12. Gavin Bryars – Titanic Hymn (Autumn) All Strings (The Sinking Of The Titanic)